[Freeipa-users] start and stop of ipa commands in systemd

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 08:18:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 09:06:50AM +0200, Martin Babinsky wrote:
> On 04/01/2016 08:53 PM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
> >
> >I have a question regarding enabling/disabling separate ipa parts in
> >systemd. Is it necessarry or required to have httpd, directory server,
> >named memcache and all the other ipa services to be enabled in systemd?
> >Or is it recomended to have only the main ipa service enabled (and all
> >the other disabled)?
>
> ipa.service actually calls `ipactl` command which starts/stops all
> individual components at once (dirsrv, http, kdc, kpasswd, memcache,
> pki-tomcat etc.). All of these services (which are listed in `ipactl
> status`) must be up and running for IPA server to work correctly in all
> aspects.
>
> So in this sense 'ipa.service' is just an umbrella that groups all the
> components of FreeIPA installation.

For production operation, what Martin B. has said is the recommended
way.

It the future, native systemd approach is likely to be used:

At the same time, we will likely explore the possibility of running
various pieces on different machines (or in different containers).

If you are interested in exploring those areas and helping us develop
them, we'll be happy to hear about your findings.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat