[Freeipa-users] start and stop of ipa commands in systemd

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 12:02:10 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 01:40 PM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
> Am 04.04.2016 um 09:06 schrieb Martin Babinsky:
>> On 04/01/2016 08:53 PM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
>>> Hallo
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding enabling/disabling separate ipa parts in
>>> systemd. Is it necessarry or required to have httpd, directory server,
>>> named memcache and all the other ipa services to be enabled in systemd?
>>> Or is it recomended to have only the main ipa service enabled (and all
>>> the other disabled)?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Martin
>>>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> ipa.service actually calls `ipactl` command which starts/stops all
>> individual components at once (dirsrv, http, kdc, kpasswd, memcache,
>> pki-tomcat etc.). All of these services (which are listed in `ipactl
>> status`) must be up and running for IPA server to work correctly in all
>> aspects.
>>
>> So in this sense 'ipa.service' is just an umbrella that groups all the
>> components of FreeIPA installation.
>>
> For starting and stopping all neccessarry parts this is OK. But if I
> have enabled some of these services directly in systemd (lets say
> memcached or the ldap server) does that make problems during startup or
> shutdown.
>
> May be it is just a coincidence, but I had several warnings (up to
> thousands) in the past from the LDAP Server at a simple restart of the
> server:
>
> DSRetroclPlugin - delete_changerecord: could not delete change record
> 553423 (rc: 32): 1 Time(s)
>
> An I have not found any reason for this. Therefore the question: can
> this be due to a false shutdown or startup sequence by systemd?
The DSRetroclPlugin messages occur when the starting point for trimming
the retro changelog was incorrectly set. The messages themselves are
harmless, just skipping no longer existing changes.
I think a crash or kill at shutdown will increase the probabilty to run
into these scenarios

> Last time I run "ipactl stop" before restarting the server and had no
> such warnings. As I said may be its just a coincidence.
>
> I run ipa on a up to date fedora 23 server.
>
> Regards
> Martin

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill