[Freeipa-users] DNS operation timed out when installing IPA with forwarders

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 08:43:14 UTC 2016

On 24.2.2016 13:19, Geselle Stijn wrote:
> Adding a forward zone like Martin suggested works.
> I will definitely read the section you linked to get a better understanding of the differences between both.
>
> Doing a dig for google.com won't work in our case, because the servers are not internet-facing.

Hi,

this effectively means that servers you specified are not usable as global
forwarders, so the check serves its purpose.

The problem is that the DNS server in general is not supposed to drop queries.
At very least it should answer with REFUSED message so the client can see that
the query was administratively prohibited.

I hope this explains nature of the check.

Petr^2 Spacek

Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat