[Freeipa-users] Adding FreeIPA to an existing infrastructure

Christophe TREFOIS christophe.trefois at uni.lu
Mon Apr 11 11:33:31 UTC 2016

Hi Remco,

I’m not an expert, but I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 12:02, Remco Kranenburg <remco at crunchrapps.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> At our company, we manage several Ubuntu web servers with SSH, and we use ansible scripts to automate some tasks. The web servers are hosted by a VPS hosting provider. Until now, we have always managed the user accounts manually for each server, but this is becoming increasingly cumbersome as we grow. To centralize our identity management, I've been looking into FreeIPA, but having no prior experience with this, I am overwhelmed by complexity.
>
> So the first question: is FreeIPA too complex for what we are trying to accomplish? Should we be looking at a different solution? I do like some of the advanced things we can supposedly do with FreeIPA: single identity for everything (SSH on our servers, our Bitbucket accounts, our Jenkins CI server), but those are currently not hard requirements.

I would say it’s not too complex. Once it’s installed, you can slowly dig in and it’s not so complex to use. The architecture is quite complex, but using it is quite straightforward I think.

Setup at least 3 replicas so you have failover and redundancy, and then you’re good to go. We use FreeIPA to manage SSH accounts on the VMs and sudo rules as well. This can be done via PAM.
We also integrate all our services with FreeIPA so that we can manage accounts centrally.

In fact, we setup now the FreeIPA integration automatically via Foreman provisioning. It is quite magical.a

> Some technical questions:
>
> We currently manage our TLS certificate manually with a wildcard that we install on each server every year, but we will soon be moving to the automated system provided by Letsencrypt. Does this mean we can disable the Certificate Authority system provided by FreeIPA, or is the CA also required for other things?

I’m not sure here but I thought the CA was meant for VMs to establish trust with FreeIPA, so I think it should stay on.