[Freeipa-users] IPA & Yubikey

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 08:22:32 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 10:40 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm quite close to reaching the ideal point with our new FreeIPA setup, but one
> thing that is standing in the way is 2FA.  I know FreeIPA has support for Google
> Auth, FreeOTP, and Yubikey.  We'd like to go with Yubikeys over the phone-based
> systems, but a lot of the docs regarding Yubikey seem to either be out-dated, or
> not real clear (at least to me).  So I'd like to ask a few questions to make
> sure I'm understanding correctly.
>
> 1) It looks like the normal setup of a Yubikey is to plug it into a machine and
> run the "ipa otptoken-add-yubikey" command.  This implies that the machine that
> sets up the Yubikey needs to be part of the FreeIPA domain, which presents
> somewhat of a problem for us, as our current IPA setup has no desktops, and is
> in a remote "lights-out" datacenter an hour's drive from our office.  I did see
> a post recently in the archives of someone figuring out how to set up a Yubikey
> via the web interface
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-March/msg00114.html) - would
> this be viable?

Interesting question/suggestion, CCing Nathaniel on this one, he authored the
feature.

> 2) Does the otptoken-add-yubikey command actually change the programming of the
> Yubikey, or does it simply read it's configuration?  We have some users who are
> already using a Yubikey for personal stuff, and we'd like to allow those users
> to continue to use their existing Yubikey to auth to our IPA domain, but if the
> add command changes the programming of the key, that may not be possible without
> using the second slot, and if users are already using the second slot, they are
> out of luck.
>
> 3) Does Yubikey auth require talking to the outside world to function?  Our IPA
> setup is within a secure zone, with no direct connectivity to the outside world,
> so if this is necessary, it would be a possible deal-breaker for these.

None of the FreeIPA setup should require communication with the outside world,
maybe except some of the current DNS checks during validation. If it does, it
sounds as a bug to me, as I know about multiple deployments of FreeIPA in such
environments.

Martin