[Freeipa-users] How to delete a managed group

Bob Hinton bob at jackland.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 06:40:45 UTC 2016

On 03/08/2016 07:15, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 3.8.2016 00:58, Bob Hinton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Something went wrong when trying to restore some preserved users so I
>> deleted them and then tried to recreate them. This failed with -
>>
>> ipa: ERROR: Unable to create private group. A group 'XXXXX'  already exists.
>>
>> Trying to delete this group produces -
>>
>> ipa: ERROR: Unable to create private group. A group 'XXXXX' already exists.
>>
>> Trying to detach it with
>>
>> ipa group-detach XXXXX
>>
>> produces
>>
>> ipa: ERROR: XXXXX: group not found
>>
>> ipa group-show XXXXX
> I would try
> $ ipa group show XXXXX --all --raw
>
> that could show us if there is something interesting like replication conflict
> or so.
>
> Petr^2 Spacek
Hi Petr,

This produces ...

ipa group-show XXXXX --all --raw
  dn: cn=XXXXX,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=local,dc=com
  cn: XXXXX
  gidnumber: 799830053
  ipaUniqueID: 3b8e0ec8-58c4-11e6-806d-005056015864
  mepManagedBy: uid=XXXXX,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=local,dc=com
  objectClass: posixgroup
  objectClass: ipaobject
  objectClass: mepManagedEntry
  objectClass: top

We do have some replication problems at the moment - two recreated
replicas currently have two RUVs so this could this be how the user
delete completed without the corresponding group?

Thanks

Bob