[Freeipa-users] Freeipa replication issue

Stefan Uygur suygur at firstderivatives.com
Mon Aug 15 10:13:30 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if I have to bring this topic back again but still no solution so far. I gave up for a while but I still need to solve this problem.

I followed the link provided by Mark Reynold:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/10/html/Administration_Guide/dirmnger-pwd.html#dirmnger-pwd-Resetting_Passwords

I applied the instructions multiple times and also followed these instructions as well:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password

With no joy.

Mark suggested:
The problem here is that "cn=directory manager" does not exist in a database.  It only exists in the cn=config entry, so ldappasswd will not work.
But I'm not sure if your problem is the directory manager account though.  You need to look through the Directory Server access log for "err=49" (/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/access), and see which BIND dn is failing.  It could be a different user/account.

So I checked the logs as well and this is all I have from logs every time I attempt to prepare the replica:
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:13 +0100] conn=10 op=13 RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0 notes=U
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 fd=70 slot=70 connection from local to /var/run/slapd-INSTANCE-COM.socke
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=0 BIND dn="cn=directory manager" method=128 version=3
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=0 RESULT err=49 tag=97 nentries=0 etime=0
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=1 UNBIND
[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=1 fd=70 closed - U1

I don't think it is that difficult to manage/change Directory Manager password but I cannot get away with it myself so I must be doing something wrong or the solutions provided (instructions) are not applicable to the version of IPA (ipa-server-3.0.0-47.el6_7.2.x86_64) I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan