[Freeipa-users] IPA-AD ldap acces - account ?

Jan Karásek jan.karasek at elostech.cz
Thu Aug 18 11:53:38 UTC 2016

Hi,
thank you. We are experiencing problems with LDAP access from IPA servers in IPA-AD scenario with one-way trust (Win 2012).

So for ldap access IPA uses the xyz$@domain special trust account. According my lab - this account is on the AD side considered as a member of Authenticated users group. By default Authenticated users are member of group Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access, and this group have read permission on object type User and therefore IPA is able to read POSIX attributes from these objects. (tested in my lab environment)

In our case - due to security team - there is no possibility for Authenticated users to read user's objects - and then IPA is unable to read objects from AD ldap. So we have situation, where kerberos works OK but we are not able to get POSIX attributes from ldap.

This situation could have been solved by adding read permission directly to the IPA access account(TDO), but unfortunately it looks like it is not possible.

Questions :

1. Do the IPA depends on ability of Authenticated users group to access user's objects attributes ?
2. Is it possible to setup some other "standard" service account for IPA access to AD ldap ?

Thank you,
Jan