[Freeipa-users] IPA-AD ldap acces - account ?

Jan Karásek jan.karasek at elostech.cz
Thu Aug 18 14:39:37 UTC 2016

Great ! Thank you very much. It works !

Regards,
Jan

From: "Alexander Bokovoy" <abokovoy at redhat.com>
To: "Jan Karásek" <jan.karasek at elostech.cz>
Cc: freeipa-users at redhat.com
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:03:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] IPA-AD ldap acces - account ?

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016, Jan Karásek wrote:
>Hi,
>thank you. We are experiencing problems with LDAP access from IPA
>servers in IPA-AD scenario with one-way trust (Win 2012).
>
>So for ldap access IPA uses the xyz$@domain special trust account.
>According my lab - this account is on the AD side considered as a
>member of Authenticated users group. By default Authenticated users are
>member of group Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access, and this group have
>read permission on object type User and therefore IPA is able to read
>POSIX attributes from these objects. (tested in my lab environment)
>
>In our case - due to security team - there is no possibility for
>Authenticated users to read user's objects - and then IPA is unable to
>read objects from AD ldap. So we have situation, where kerberos works
>OK but we are not able to get POSIX attributes from ldap.
Create a group that could be granted such access, add TDO object there.

>This situation could have been solved by adding read permission
>directly to the IPA access account(TDO), but unfortunately it looks
>like it is not possible.
Why is it not possible? The account is in AD, one can always grant
it more permissions there.

>Questions :
>
>1. Do the IPA depends on ability of Authenticated users group to access
>user's objects attributes ?
At the very least, yes. Otherwise you need to grant more permissions to
the TDO account in AD, even though you cannot directly get access to the
account from non-advanced UI view. However, even Samba 'net' utility
works fine:

1. Create a group in the forest root domain:
# net rpc group add trust-rpc-readonly -S w12.ad.test -UAdministrator%PASSWORD

2. Add our TDO object to the group:
# net rpc group addmem trust-rpc-readonly 'IPAAD$' -S w12.ad.test -UAdministrator%PASSWORD

3. Check that TDO oubject is part of the group
# net rpc group members trust-read-only -S w12.ad.test -UAdministrator%PASSWORD
AD\IPAAD$

Now you can go to UI and assign specific privileges to the group.

>2. Is it possible to setup some other "standard" service account for
>IPA access to AD ldap ?
No.

>Thank you,
>Jan