[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and slave MIT slave KDCs

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 06:13:47 UTC 2016

On 18.8.2016 23:36, Diogenes S. Jesus wrote:
> Thanks Petr.
>
> It seems like the only way to do it right now is to dump the keytab and
> copy it to slave KDCs, as I couldn't find a way to have MIT Kerberos to use
> the master key stored in the LDAP directly.

That is expected. If you want, just dump the key to file and distribute it
(using a secure mechanism). At the moment, FreeIPA does not rotate the master
key so it should just work.

> MIT Kerberos doesn't really support a master key stored elsewhere other
> than using "key_stash_file" AFAIK, so I'm wondering how FreeIPA has
> actually implemented it (I couldn't find any reference for it in the
> kerberos conf files).

FreeIPA has own KDC database driver:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/daemons/ipa-kdb?id=6b7d6417d403c983691c790c1e60cfe32bf1c420

This is why you cannot find this in standard MIT KDC.

> My use case involves having a "FreeIPA slave"  - a streamlined version
> which will only provide authentication (via Kerberos). Sure, I can make a
> standard replica and firewall what I don't wanna use, but when stretching
> your authentication infrastructure you don't necessary need to expose all
> other services FreeIPA provides, since that increases your attack surface.

Well, it should work if you leave all ports open for communication among
replicas but block out all clients.

In this case do not forget to remove DNS SRV records for other services so
clients do not timeout while attempting to contact firewalled replicas.

(Please note that FreeIPA DNS automatically re-generates DNS SRV records when
you change something in replica topology or run an IPA installer - you will
need to make the changes again.)

If you want to try the pure KDC slave, please let us know how it worked. I'm
curious :-)

Petr^2 Spacek