[Freeipa-users] The 3rd party cert for IPA Web GUI

Z D zarko at etcfstab.com
Tue Aug 23 20:25:04 UTC 2016

Hi there, is it possible to have a cert (say from VeriSign) for a IPA host and use it for httpd (Web GUI), without breaking anything else? I've acquired one and added it to nssdb (/etc/httpd/alias).

# certutil -L -d /etc/httpd/alias
Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes
                                                             SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI
ipaCert                                                      u,u,u
Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
COMP.COM IPA CA                                         CT,C,C
Signing-Cert                                                 u,u,u
CA-LDAP01-CHAINED                                            u,u,u
Comp SSL CA - G2 - VeriSign, Inc.                          ,,

It's now used in /etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf and the cert looks good via a browser. But it's breaking something, since I see this:

# ipa user-show admin
ipa: ERROR: cert validation failed for "CN=ca-ldap01.comp.com,OU=Corp,O=Corporation,L=City,ST=California,C=US" ((SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.)
ipa: ERROR: cannot connect to 'https://ca-ldap01.comp.com/ipa/json': (SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.

Adding this cert to /etc/dirsrv/slapd-CORP-COM/ nssdb didn't resolve the issue. Thanks for any advice.

Zarko