[Freeipa-users] Freeipa on ARM (raspberry pi) - OpenJDK vs. Oracle JDK

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Thu Dec 1 17:47:58 UTC 2016

My guess aligns with this response:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31153584/why-is-there-such-a-performance-difference-on-raspberry-pi-between-open-and-orac

Bryce

From: freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Winfried de Heiden
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 1:08 AM
To: freeipa-users at redhat.com
Subject: [Freeipa-users] Freeipa on ARM (raspberry pi) - OpenJDK vs. Oracle JDK

Hi all,

Started as "just because it's possible" running FreeIPA on a BananaPI or Raspberry PI turned to out to be rather succesfull and for more than a year I use FreeIPA at home.

OK, running on small boards like Raspberry PI it never will be fast but it's surely quick enough to run at small scale. However, starting FreeIPA became much slower since Fedora 24 and even more on Fedora 25.
Since Oracle Java is also available for ARM and there's much written this is much faster I took some time for an experiment.

Starting FreeIPA using the default installation (running OpenJDK) starting FreeIPA takes a painfull 15 minutes (afterward, it all just works fine):

[root at rpi2 sysconfig]# time ipactl start
Starting Directory Service
Starting krb5kdc Service
Starting kadmin Service
Starting named Service
Starting ipa_memcached Service
Starting httpd Service
Starting ipa-custodia Service
Starting ntpd Service
Starting pki-tomcatd Service
Starting ipa-otpd Service
Starting ipa-dnskeysyncd Service
ipa: INFO: The ipactl command was successful

real    15m40.638s
user    0m33.095s
sys    0m1.910s

Now, after installing Oracle Java and changing JAVA_HOME in /etc/sysconfig/pki-tomcat to:

#JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk"
JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk1.8.0_111/jre"

[root at rpi2 sysconfig]# time ipactl start
Starting Directory Service
Starting krb5kdc Service
Starting kadmin Service
Starting named Service
Starting ipa_memcached Service
Starting httpd Service
Starting ipa-custodia Service
Starting ntpd Service
Starting pki-tomcatd Service
Starting ipa-otpd Service
Starting ipa-dnskeysyncd Service
ipa: INFO: The ipactl command was successful

real    2m14.823s
user    0m33.400s
sys    0m1.730s

Wow, I expected some improvement, but this far better than expected! This leaves a question: what is happening here!!??

I prefer to use OpenJDK, it 's Open Source and because it's availabe from the Fedora ARM repositories it is also much more easy to update. But for now, Oracle is much faster and OpenJDK from this point of view is a very poor alternative.
Why is OpenJDK so much slower? Is improvement possible? For now (some "tweaking") of in a future release?

For the record, I tested these Java versions:

[root at rpi2 sysconfig]# /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.111-3.b16.fc25.arm/jre/bin/java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_111"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b16)
OpenJDK Zero VM (build 25.111-b16, interpreted mode)

[root at rpi2 sysconfig]# /opt/jdk1.8.0_111/jre/bin/java -version
java version "1.8.0_111"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)

Kind regards,

Winfried