[Freeipa-users] Directory Manager Password Change

Callum Guy callum.guy at x-on.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 12:05:13 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I have been testing FreeIPA and now plan to migrate to production use -
thanks for creating such a great application!

During the test phase we have been using simple passwords for the admin and
directory manager users however we need these changed before moving into
production. I believe we can change the admin password using the web
interface however as I understand it amending the directory manager
password is not so straightforward.

I have found this link
https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password however
I am unsure if this is the correct procedure for our installation -
certainly i am having no luck so far.

We have the following setup:

FreeIPA 4.2.0 - single master server (no replicas), multiple clients
CentOS 7.2

I have tried the following steps in order:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/howto/howto-resetdirmgrpassword.html
followed by
https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password

After completing that I am no longer able to authenticate user logins. The
below covers my current situation:

This works:
ldapsearch -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w NEWPASSWORD -s base -b ""
"objectclass=*"

This does not work:
ldapsearch -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w OLDPASSWORD -s base -b ""
"objectclass=*"

This works:
ldapsearch -h localhost -ZZ -p 389 -x -D "uid=admin,ou=people,o=ipaca" -W
-b "" -s base
OLDPASSWORD

This does not work:
ldapsearch -h localhost -ZZ -p 389 -x -D "uid=admin,ou=people,o=ipaca" -W
-b "" -s base
NEWPASSWORD

So i'm i a mixed up state! Is anyone able to offer advise on resolving this
issue?

Thank you,

Callum

--

*0333 332 0000  |  www.x-on.co.uk <http://www.x-on.co.uk>  |   **
<https://twitter.com/xonuk>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/x-on/products>
<https://www.facebook.com/XonTel> *
X-on is a trading name of Storacall Technology Ltd a limited company
registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office : Avaland House, 110 London Road, Apsley, Hemel
Hempstead, Herts, HP3 9SD. Company Registration No. 2578478.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
X-on immediately on +44(0)333 332 0000 and delete the
message from your computer. If you are not a named addressee you must not
use, disclose, disseminate, distribute, copy, print or reply to this email. Views
or opinions expressed by an individual
within this email may not necessarily reflect the views of X-on or its
associated companies. Although X-on routinely screens for viruses,
addressees should scan this email and any attachments
for viruses. X-on makes no representation or warranty as to the absence of
viruses in this email or any attachments.