[Freeipa-users] Directory Manager Password Change

Callum Guy callum.guy at x-on.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 13:37:48 UTC 2016

Hi Flo,

I have indeed executed every step in order, including the one you have
indicated.

The password I has used included a dollar sign and this meant that echo -n
$DM_PASSWORD > /root/dm_password didn't work as I had expected meaning
everything after the dollar was interpreted as a variable and was missing
in the file. I have corrected this and performed the full process again,
starting with the 389 reset however it is still not working correctly.

I remain in the same state as before where the admin password has not been
changed - this confuses me as my understanding is that admin only exists as
the FreeIPA web admin user whose password I can change separately. Am i
misunderstanding, is there another admin user within FreeIPA which is
directly linked to the directory manager?

Having run out of ideas I have just executed ipa-server-upgrade however
this hasn't helped. My situation remains as follows:

*Works:* ldapsearch -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w  *NEW_DM_PW  *-s base
-b "" "objectclass=*"
*Fails:  *ldapsearch -h localhost -ZZ -p 389 -x -D
"uid=admin,ou=people,o=ipaca" -w *NEW_DM_PW *-b "" -s base

Are you able to offer any other ideas?

Other information:
I can confirm that cacert.p12 has been updated by the actions performed.
File /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/password.conf now contains a new line internaldb=
*NEW_DM_PW *(as per instruction 1 on FreeIPA link)

Best Regards,

Callum

--

*0333 332 0000  |  www.x-on.co.uk <http://www.x-on.co.uk>  |   **
<https://twitter.com/xonuk>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/x-on/products>
<https://www.facebook.com/XonTel> *
X-on is a trading name of Storacall Technology Ltd a limited company
registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office : Avaland House, 110 London Road, Apsley, Hemel
Hempstead, Herts, HP3 9SD. Company Registration No. 2578478.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
X-on immediately on +44(0)333 332 0000 and delete the