[Freeipa-users] Debugging failed password checks (SSH) for AD users at the other end of 1-way trusts

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Dec 7 14:23:46 UTC 2016

Confirmed that adding the following to /etc/sssd/ssd.conf on the SERVER
fixed SSH password checks on the server itself!

ldap_user_principal = nosuchattr
subdomain_inherit = ldap_user_principal

The core problem does appear to be the "... UPN is quite different"
error when we try to login as user at NAFTA.COMPANY.ORG which then gets
shortened to user at COMPANY.ORG. It's hard to read the volume of
debug_level 10 logs but it's clear that it's getting hung up with
principals when talking to the remote AD servers.

I can now login to the IPA server with my standard AD credentials which
has been impossible until just now.

However no luck on IPA clients. Can you confirm that the above sssd.conf
workaround is for the IPA server only as the thread you linked to
indicates or is this a change I should push down to clients? I'm going
to build some fresh clients just in case.

And knowing that this workaround seems to be getting close to totally
resolving our issue would you recommend IPA-4.4 for our environment
where we have lots of AD trusts in play combined with DNS-DOMAIN
differences between the IPA realm and the managed clients? Or is it
better to stick with the workaround settings + the IPA-4.2 release that
comes with CentOS/RHEL-7?

Thanks!

Chris