[Freeipa-users] DNS reverse zone is not managed by this server

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 09:48:36 UTC 2016

On 22.12.2016 09:37, Maciej Drobniuch wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> Thank you for reply.
>
> 1. The dig is returning proper PTR record. I've added it manually to
> the zone and it's working.

I was asking for SOA and zone name, IMO there is nothing secret about
reverse zone name from private address space

what returns this command on server?
python -c 'import netaddr; from dns import resolver; ip =
netaddr.IPAddress("10.0.0.165"); revn = ip.reverse_dns; print revn;
print resolver.zone_for_name(revn)'

> 2. The problem exists while adding host entries or A records with
> "create reverse" option.
That's why I asked to run dig, the code uses DNS system to determine zone.

> 3. If I'll bind a host with ipa-client-install the PTR record gets
> created in the reverse zone and it works
Ok

> 4. The resolv.conf file has only the IPA server IP addres/localhost added.

Have you changed it recently?

Martin