[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA smart card how to

Michael Rainey (Contractor) michael.rainey.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Feb 2 19:42:35 UTC 2016

Okay.  I haven't been able to get around this issue. I can log using my
username, my card is recognized by GDM and reads the card as expected,
but I am unable to login using my smartcard.  From what I can see in the
logs the common name on my card doesn't match the username on my test
account.

Feb  2 13:00:05 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_krb5[5152]: error resolving
user name '<SC-CommonName>' to uid/gid pair
Feb  2 13:00:05 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_krb5[5152]: error getting
information about '<SC-CommonName>
Feb  2 13:00:06 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_unix(gdm-smartcard:account):
could not identify user (from getpwnam(<SC-CommonName>))
Feb  2 13:00:06 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_sss(gdm-smartcard:account):
Access denied for user <SC-CommonName>: 10 (User not known to the
underlying authentication module)
Feb  2 13:00:06 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_krb5[5152]: error resolving
user name '<SC-CommonName>' to uid/gid pair
Feb  2 13:00:13 cabildo gdm-smartcard]: pam_pkcs11(gdm-smartcard:auth):
pam_get_pwd() failed: Conversation error

Where do I go from here?

*Michael Rainey*
NRL 7320
Computer Support Group