[Freeipa-users] "Failed to initialize credentials using keytab [default]" errors on functioning clients

Terence Kent tkent at xetus.com
Wed Feb 3 00:59:37 UTC 2016

Hello,

We’ve been using SSSD with FreeIPA very successfully for a while now - we love it. Recently, we’ve noticed that all our linux hosts (All Ubuntu 14.04) log the following message pretty regularly (several dozen times per day):

"Failed to initialize credentials using keytab [default]: Generic error (see e-text). Unable to create GSSAPI-encrypted LDAP connection.”

Now, outside of this message, we have no symptoms that things aren’t functioning properly. SSSD is properly recognizing changes whenever we update our FreeIPA server.

Can anyone point us in the right direction on how to fix this issue? So far, we’ve done the following:

1. Verified the /etc/krb5.keytab seems to be fine (and it does).
2. Verified that changes to our FreeIPA servers properly get replicated to the clients.

Thanks!
Terence