[Freeipa-users] User mapping between domains

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 07:37:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:59:55AM +0000, Simpson Lachlan wrote:
> IPA is successfully installed, a one way trust created, and we have been able to
> login using AD credentials.
>
> For future googler's, there is some bare bones documentation on how to allow AD
> users to login to your system, under the heading "Allow access for users from AD
> domain to protected resources"
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Active_Directory_trust_setup#Configure_IPA_server_for_cross-realm_trusts
>
> I can confirm this works for a one directional trust (IPA trusts AD), since that
> is what we have.
>
> Question/Issue:
>
> Currently I have two logins, one in the AD domain and one on each server in
> the IPA domain. The desire is to close that gap.
>
> We were under the impression that, utilising idoverrideuser, that we could map
> AD's
>
> "Smith Jane"@example.org (or EXAMPLE\Jane Smith; yes I know our AD logins
> have spaces in them, it's a technical debt that has no solution roadmap within
> the org) to
>
> jsmith at unix.example.org (which we would set up in IPA),
>
> and be able to override certain aspects, like:
>
>  - instead of using the clumsy
>
> ssh "Smith Jane"@example.org at host1.unix.example.org

btw normally you can login with samAccountName or UPN. I find it a bit
odd that samAccountName would contain "Smith Jane", I would expect that
to be in the gecos attribute.. Maybe in this case using UPN would be at
least a bit easier , because you wouldn't have to quote it?

> to login to a system, we could use:
>
> ssh jsmith at host1.unix.example.org

No, this cannot be done, at least not this way. While you can "remap"
the AD usernames to a different one with id overrides functionality (so
that "Smith Jane" might have a different name, you would still need to
use the fully qualified name, not a shortname.

This is because the trusted AD domain is a subdomain in SSSD lingo and
all subdomains are implicitly fully qualified.

If you want to use shortnames for your AD logins, you can use the
default_domain_suffix option. But then only the domain that you put into
this option's value can use short names and all other domains (including
the IPA domain) must be fully qualified.