[Freeipa-users] Enabling smart card on GDM manually.

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 21:47:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 01:14:20PM -0600, Michael Rainey (Contractor) wrote:
> Please disregard this message.  I discovered the answer after the message
> was sent.
>
> There is a locks file in /etc/dconf/db/distro.d/locks.  I edited the
> /etc/dconf/db/distro.d/10-authconfig and rebooted.  It is recognizing the
> smartcard now.

Don't switch on the Smartcard support in gdm, if will force gdm to use
pam_krb5 and pam_pkcs11. Just use the default configuration after
running ipa-client-install and add 'pam_cert_auth = True' to the [pam]
section of sssd.conf.

If now a user tries to login via gdm or the console and has a Smartcard
inserted which has a certificate which matches the one in the user entry
on the IPA server SSSD will not ask for a password but for the Smartcard
PIN.

HTH

bye,
Sumit