[Freeipa-users] client/authentication inside a docker container

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Thu Feb 4 21:23:40 UTC 2016

An RHEL 7 host filesystem may have the same basic structure as an Ubuntu trusty container filesystem, but may have different users defined, particularly for running services and for owning the files those services must touch. To what extent do you want the same users to be enforced between the container and the host? Is it OK for service accounts to be different, as long as user/login/people accounts are the same?

It almost sounds like you’re using containers to isolate user environments and processes, but you’re accumulating data from/sharing data between containers…Which implies that the processes generating the data run as the user and not as a system service. It may be easier to wrap whatever program you’re running as a web service so the users don’t have to log in and your uid:gid problem goes away.

Bryce