[Freeipa-users] nss unrecognized name alert with SAN name

John Obaterspok john.obaterspok at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 21:22:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a ipa.my.lan and a cname gitserver.my.lan pointing to ipa.my.lan

I recently started to get nss error "SSL peer has no certificate for the
requested DNS name." when I'm accesing my https://gitserver.my.lan

Previously this worked fine if I had set "git config --global
http.sslVerify false" according to
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2015-November/msg00213.html

Now I tried to solve this by adding a SubjectAltName to the HTTP/ipa.my.lan
certitficate like this:

status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: IPA
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=MY.LAN
subject: CN=ipa.my.lan,O=MY.LAN
expires: 2018-02-06 19:24:52 UTC
dns: gitserver.my.lan,ipa.my.lan
principal name: http/ipa.my.lan at MY.LAN
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command: /usr/lib64/ipa/certmonger/restart_httpd
track: yes
auto-renew: yes

But I still get the below error:

* NSS error -12182 (SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT)
* SSL peer has no certificate for the requested DNS name

Any ideas why?

-- john