[Freeipa-users] nss unrecognized name alert with SAN name

John Obaterspok john.obaterspok at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 11:05:19 UTC 2016

> John Obaterspok wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a ipa.my.lan and a cname gitserver.my.lan pointing to ipa.my.lan
>>
>> I recently started to get nss error "SSL peer has no certificate for the
>> requested DNS name." when I'm accesing my https://gitserver.my.lan
>>
>> Previously this worked fine if I had set "git config --global
>> http.sslVerify false" according to
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2015-November/msg00213.html
>>
>> Now I tried to solve this by adding a SubjectAltName to the
>> HTTP/ipa.my.lan certitficate like this:
>>
>> status: MONITORING
>> stuck: no
>> key pair storage:
>> type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
>> Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt'
>> certificate:
>> type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
>> Certificate DB'
>> CA: IPA
>> issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=MY.LAN
>> subject: CN=ipa.my.lan,O=MY.LAN
>> expires: 2018-02-06 19:24:52 UTC
>> dns: gitserver.my.lan,ipa.my.lan
>> principal name: http/ipa.my.lan at MY.LAN
>> key usage:
>> digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
>> eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
>> pre-save command:
>> post-save command: /usr/lib64/ipa/certmonger/restart_httpd
>> track: yes
>> auto-renew: yes
>>
>> But I still get the below error:
>>
>> * NSS error -12182 (SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT)
>> * SSL peer has no certificate for the requested DNS name
>>

> What version of mod_nss? It recently added support for SNI. You can try
> turning it off by adding NSSSNI off to /etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf but I'd
> imagine you were already relying on it.

Hi,

Turning it off didn't help

I'm on F23 with latest updates so I have mod_nss-1.0.12-1
I noticed it worked if I set "ServerName gitserver.my.lan" in
gitserver.conf, but then I got the NAME ALERT when accessing ipa.my.lan.

I then tried to put ipa.conf in <VirtualHost *:443> but then I got error
about SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

gitserver.conf has this:

<VirtualHost *:443>
        DocumentRoot /opt/wwwgit
        SetEnv GIT_PROJECT_ROOT /opt/wwwgit
        SetEnv GIT_HTTP_EXPORT_ALL
        SetEnv REMOTE_USER $REDIRECT_REMOTE_USER
        ScriptAlias /git/ /usr/libexec/git-core/git-http-backend/

        ServerName gitserver.my.lan

      <Directory "/usr/libexec/git-core">
          Options Indexes
          AllowOverride None
          Require all granted
     </Directory>

     <Directory "/opt/wwwgit">
          Options Indexes
          AllowOverride None
          Require all granted
     </Directory>

<LocationMatch "/git/">
          #SSLRequireSSL
          AuthType Kerberos
          AuthName "Kerberos Login"
          KrbAuthRealm WIN.LAN
          Krb5KeyTab /etc/httpd/conf/ipa.keytab
          KrbMethodNegotiate on
          KrbMethodK5Passwd off # Set to on to query for pwd if negotiation
failed due to no ticket available
          KrbSaveCredentials on
          KrbVerifyKDC on
          KrbServiceName HTTP/ipa.my.lan at MY.LAN

          AuthLDAPUrl ldaps://ipa.my.lan/dc=my,dc=lan?krbPrincipalName
          AuthLDAPBindDN "uid=httpbind,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=my,dc=lan"
          AuthLDAPBindPassword "secret123abc"
          Require ldap-group cn=ipausers,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=my,dc=lan
     </LocationMatch>

</VirtualHost>

Any more ideas what I do wrong?