[Freeipa-users] Migrating NIS host to freeIPA host with smart card

Michael Rainey (Contractor) michael.rainey.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Feb 9 22:54:55 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I have a question about migrating a system from NIS to freeIPA.  In my
efforts of setting up a host on freeIPA I would normally use a fresh
install to setup the system.  I'm now at a point where I'm moving
existing systems from an NIS domain to a freeIPA domain.  Is it
recommended to perform a clean install for every new host added to the
domain?

During my testing, I have found running the ipa-client-install command
does a great job of adding the host to the domain, but when I try to use
the smart card it is never recognized by gdm.  I tried tweaking some of
the configurations to get GDM to recognize the card with no luck.  Is
there a checklist available that I could follow to make sure everything
is configured properly?  All configurations work when using a username
and password.
--
*Michael Rainey*