[Freeipa-users] Active Directory Trust = filter users

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 12:07:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 09:42:28AM +0100, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 11:58:46AM +0100, Winfried de Heiden wrote:
> >    Hi all,
> >
> >    Using an Active Directory Trust with IPA all works fine but there's an
> >    disadvantage: it might brong in lots and lots of groups I am not
> >    interested in since it mainly hit Windows and/or Office stuff.
>
> Why are you concerned about this in the first place? Is it about
> performance needed to process these groups or about resources that can
> be owned by these groups?
>

> >    Now, is it possible to filter AD-groups? or: can I use an AD search base
> >    filter? (something like cn=linuxgroups,ou=allgroups,dc=example,dc=com)
>
> Not at the moment, the subdomains are autoconfigured and not
> configurable.

Additionally please note that some of the more advances schemes we use
for group-membership lookups in AD like PAC data or the tokenGroups
request just return all groups a user is a member of in a single call,
no need to walk through the AD directory tree to resolve nested groups.
We still have to look up the groups to get their name and maybe the GID
but if we would apply a filter we had to look them up as well because we
only know the SID.

Falling back to a different scheme would not improve the situation
performance wise because we have to read all groups even the outside the
given search base to be able to resolve nested groups correctly.

HTH

bye,
Sumit