[Freeipa-users] smart cards caintaining multiple certificates

Michael Rainey (Contractor) michael.rainey.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Fri Feb 12 15:33:01 UTC 2016

I recently discovered something that may be a little off in the SSSD
Design Docs
<https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/SmartcardAuthenticationStep1>.
When using the certutil command shown below to dump the PEM encoded
certificates from the smart card.  The output is not the certificate
which is being read by the SSSD daemon.  ( I hope the terminology is
correct.)

*    certutil -L -d /etc/pki/nssdb -n 'Certificate Nick-Name' -a | grep
-v -- '----' |tr -d '[\n\r]'

*When the command is run I am prompted for my pin and after my pin is
entered, what I believe is returned are the private keys on the card.

After conducting some further research and testing, I eventually settled
on the following command to extract the correct public keys.
*pkcs15-tool --read-certificate <ID> | grep -v -- '----' | tr -d '[\n\r]'
*

I don't know if this has been noted in the past, but I do feel it is
important to mention in either case.

*Thanks,

Michael Rainey*