[Freeipa-users] Want faster user-add

thierry bordaz tbordaz at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 13:11:57 UTC 2016

On 01/04/2016 01:03 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 12/22/2015 04:16 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Hi Daryl,
>>>
>>> I can reproduce similar trend of user-add becoming slower and slower.
>>>
>>> Now in my tests (etime=7s) the time was spent half by authentication and
>>> half by ADD and MOD (update of ipausers group). I agree there are many
>>> direct SRCH (~10) but they all seems to be rapid.
>>>
>>> I know that the vast majority of the time is spent in DS schema-compat
>>> plugin. Disabling it, during provisioning, reduce the duration by ~3.
>>> Now I do not know if it is a valid option to disable this plugin during
>>> provisioning.
>> As long as the schema compat is not needed by users during the
>> provisioning, turning it off is fine. All the contents are regenerated
>> at startup anyway. So it can be re-enabled and the server restarted
>> after the bulk provisioning is done.
> +1. When provisioning users via "ipa migrate-ds" command, schema compat is
> strongly suggested to be turned off too.
For information, accelerating user-add is investigated under
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5448.
Schema-compat has a significant impact on ldap ADD and MOD done during
user-add. Now appropriate setting of scope of others plugins (dna,
memberof, uniqueness, uuid...) shows that ADD can be reduced by 10 and
MOD by 2, this even if schema-compat is still enabled.
So there are also possible improvements in plugin tuning.