[Freeipa-users] how to force switch to another kdc

Karl Forner karl.forner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:16:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Jakub Hrozek <jhrozek at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 12:16:48AM +0100, Karl Forner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My freeipa master has crashed, and I have a replica running.
> > The problem is that I can not use anymore the webapps on my main server
> > which use a kerberos authentication since my server will not switch to
> the
> > kdc on my replica.
>
> As long as the authentication is done via sssd this should happen
> automatically,

well it does not seem to.
The way I test it is using kinit.
The only log that gets updated in /var/log/sssd is ldap_child.log.1
(what's strange is that there's a ldap_child.log which is empty).
Each time I try a kinit, I get a log line like:

(Tue Jan  5 18:10:55 2016) [[sssd[ldap_child[10069]]]]
[ldap_child_get_tgt_sync] (0x0010): Failed to init credentials: Cannot
contact any KDC for realm 'EXAMPLE.COM'

I tried to send USR1 then USR2 to the main sssd process, without any
improvement,

In a previous email, Simo Sorce explained me that:

Unfortunately it is, it is a bug in the way we update the krb5 libraries
> to point to a KDC.
>
> SSSD updates this information in a file under /var/lib/sss/pubconf and
> krb5 libraries read from it, however kinit cannot force sssd to
> re-evaluate if the file needs updating.
>
> If you do a local login instead of a kinit, you will see that SSSD will
> switch to the new server and subsequent kinit will start using it.
>
> This is tracked here:
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/941

Could this be related ?

but you can send USR1 followed by USR2 to sssd to force