[Freeipa-users] Free-IPA failover succeeds, but ssh is broken?

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 08:54:42 UTC 2016

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Jeff Hallyburton wrote:
>Having finished setting up an ipa server and replica, we're trying to test
>failover to ensure that HA works as expected.  We've been able to verify
>the replication agreements and auto-discovery are working, and both servers
>are picked up as expected at install time.
>
>That said, we're seeing some oddities with failover.  Once I shut down the
>ipa service on the main ipa server, I get most requests completing after
>about a 2 min window.  I am able to:
>
>1.  Authenticate to our jump server and get a kerberos ticket
>2.  kinit successfully as other users
>
>However, whenever I try to ssh to another system within our domain, ssh
>breaks with the following error:
>
>$ ssh -vvv automation01
>
>OpenSSH_6.6.1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
>
>debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>
>debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 5: Applying options for *
>
>debug1: Executing proxy command: exec /usr/bin/sss_ssh_knownhostsproxy -p
>22 automation01
>
>debug1: permanently_drop_suid: 1587000001
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_ed25519 type -1
>
>debug1: identity file /home/jeff.hallyburton/.ssh/id_ed25519-cert type -1
>
>debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
>
>debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.6.1
>
>ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>

>Nothing is logged in either /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure when this
>happens, so I'm unsure where to begin debugging.  Can you offer any insight?
Do you have, by chance either on the client or on automation01 a locale
that doesn't exist on either one? For example, a fr_FR locale on the
client which is missing on the server?

By default sshd configuration allows to accept certain environmental
variables when client connection comes in:

/etc/ssh/sshd_config:
# Accept locale-related environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY LC_MESSAGES
AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL LANGUAGE
AcceptEnv XMODIFIERS

/etc/ssh/ssh_config:
# Send locale-related environment variables
	SendEnv LANG
	SendEnv XMODIFIERS

There is a bug in the proxy command -- it tries to enable localized
error messages and if that step fails, the proxy tool exits with an
error code which is visible as

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closde by remote host

I think we fixed this in newer SSSD versions already.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy