[Freeipa-users] Active Directory users are not controlled by HBAC

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 08:11:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 06:53:43PM +0000, Birnbaum, Warren (ETW) wrote:
> I started this post with a simple question:  ³is it possible to have HBAC
> work with AD authenticated users².  I was not able from the tips provided
> to get any further with this.
>
> What I have not been able to have addressed is, if there are no HBAC
> rules, there should be no access, or if there is no Allow_Access rule, no
> one should be able to login to any system.  Currently with this said
> configuration, everyone has access to every system.  My pam stack is
> exactly as recommended.  Is there someone who has FreeIPA with active
> directory authenticated users and HBAC working?  I don¹t have trust
> defined with AD but authentication is working fine.

The HBAC checks are done by SSSD. If there are issues SSSD logs would
help to identify the reason. Please see
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Troubleshooting for details. With
respect to HBAC the sssd_pam.log and sssd_your.domain.log are the most
important. Setting debug_level=10 in the [pam] and [domain/...] section
of sssd.conf should produce the most details.

Feel free to send the logs to me directly if you think they may disclose
too many details of your environment on a public mailing-list.

HTH

bye,
Sumit