[Freeipa-users] netapp unable to do ldap lookups over ssl to RHEL 7.2 ipa server

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 18:56:14 UTC 2016

On 28/01/16 13:39, Christian Heimes wrote:
> On 2016-01-28 13:51, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My netapp filer is happily doing ldap over ssl lookups for account
>> information to my RHEL 6.7 testing ipa server
>> (ipa-server-3.0.0-47.el6_7.1.x86_64).
>>
>> However, when I switch the filer to use my RHEL 7.2 ipa server
>> (ipa-server-4.2.0-15.el7_2.3.x86_64) the lookup doesn't work.
>>
>> In the dirsrv log file I see entries like this:
>>
>> [28/Jan/2016:09:17:45 +0000] conn=1338 fd=112 slot=112 SSL connection
>> from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to yyy.yyy.yy.yyy
>> [28/Jan/2016:09:17:45 +0000] conn=1338 op=-1 fd=112 closed - Cannot
>> communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
>>
>> (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the filer ip address and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the ipa
>> server ip address).
>>
>> Looking in the ldap directory for fields with cipher in the name shows a
>> very different set of nssslenabledciphers between the two ipa-server
>> versions.
>>
>> I wonder if this might be the issue?
>>
>> Can the ldap server tell me what ciphers its being requested to use by
>> the filer?
>
> Yes, it looks like it is the issue. The supported cipher suites were
> hardened a while ago. The ticket
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4395 contains more information.
>
> During the TLS handshake the client sends a list of supported cipher
> suites to the server. The server also has a list of supported cipher
> suites. But the server never sends this list to the client. Instead it
> picks one common cipher suite (usually the most secure) from the common
> set of cipher suites.
>
> I don't know if you can get 389 DS to print the cipher suites. But you
> can snoop the ciper suites from the TLS handshake with wireshark or
> tshark. The handshake isnt't encrypted and can be captures on either the
> host or the server.
>
> # tshark -Vx -Y "ssl.handshake.ciphersuites" -i YOUR_INTERFACE tcp port
> ldaps
>
> Christian

Thanks Christian. Thats really helpful.

Now I have a list of ciphers being asked for and I found that the ldap
server logs which ciphers its using when it starts up file
/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-<domain>/error. There isn't any overlap.

I noticed that there is a setting in the
dn: cn=encryption,cn=config
allowWeakCipher: off

and
nsSSL3Ciphers: +all

and found some documentation on this here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/design/nss-cipher-design.html

So, maybe I could add one (or several) of the required ciphers to
nsSSL3Ciphers or possibly as a last resort set allowWeakCipher: on?

Roderick