[Freeipa-users] A question related the passwords in the ldap

Florence Blanc-Renaud frenaud at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 12:30:15 UTC 2016

Hi Bahan,

the user passwords stored in LDAP follow the password policy configured
in the LDAP server, which defines password syntax requirements as well
as the password encryption algorithm. You can find more information in
RedHat Directory Server Administration Guide, in the section Managing
the Password Policy:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#User_Account_Management-Managing_the_Password_Policy

By default, the password storage scheme is SSHA. This means that when a
user entry is created with a password, the directory server encrypts the
password using SSHA before actually storing it in the user entry.

I hope this answers your question,
Flo.