[Freeipa-users] Deny bind for external LDAP if password is expired

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 07:51:51 UTC 2016

On 07/07/2016 05:19 PM, Prashant Bapat wrote:
> Anyone ?!
>
> On 6 July 2016 at 22:36, Prashant Bapat <prashant at apigee.com
> <mailto:prashant at apigee.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     We are using FreeIPA's LDAP as the base for user authentication in a
>     different application. So far I have created a sysaccount which does the
>     lookup etc for a user and things are working as expected. I'm even able to
>     use OTP from the external app.
>
>     One problem I'm struggling to fix is the expired passwords. Is there a way
>     to deny bind to LDAP only from this application? Obviously the user would
>     need to go to IPA's web UI and reset his password there.
>
>     I came across this ticket https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1539 but
>     looks like this is an old one.
>
>     Thanks.
>     --Prashant

Hello Prashant,

https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1539 seems to be the right ticket, if
you want users with expired passwords to be denied, but it was not implemented
yet. Help welcome!

As a workaround, I assume you could simply leverage Kerberos for authentication
- it does respect expired passwords. We have advise on how to integrate that to
external web applications here:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Web_App_Authentication

Martin