[Freeipa-users] updating certificates

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 14:10:46 UTC 2016

jcnt at use.startmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:50 AM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:
>> jcnt at use.startmail.com wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> About a year ago I installed my freeipa server with certificates from
>>> startssl using command line options --dirsrv-cert-file --http-cert-file
>>> etc.
>>> The certificate is about to expire, what is the proper way to update it
>>> in all places?
>>
>> It depends on whether you kept the original CSR or not. If you kept the
>> original CSR and are just renewing the certificate(s) then when you get
>> the new one, use certutil to add the updated cert to the appropriate NSS
>> database like:
>>
>> # certutil -A -n Server-Cert -d /etc/httpd/alias -t u,u,u -a -i
>> /path/to/new.crt
>>

> Rob,
>
> Thank you, that worked just fine, except that I had to update an intermediate certificate as well.
>
> Two questions, please:
>
> 1. I noticed a strange discrepancy in behavior between  /etc/httpd/alias and /etc/dirsrv/slapd-domain.
> In both places original intermediate certificate is listed with empty ",," trust attributes so I initially added new intermediate certificate with empty attributes as well.
> certutils -V showed valid certificate in /etc/httpd/alias and not trusted in /etc/dirsrv/slapd-domain so I had to modify intermediate certificate with -t "C,,"

Hmm, not sure. Did the CA chain change in between the issuance of the
two certs?

Adding a new certificate shouldn't affect the trust of any other certs
so I'm not sure what happened. It could be that those subordinate CAs
were loaded the first time incorrectly but weren't used so it wasn't
noticed, I'm not really sure.

> 2. Just out of curiosity I wanted to list private keys and is prompted for a password:
> # certutil -K -d /etc/httpd/alias/
> certutil: Checking token "NSS Certificate DB" in slot "NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services"
> Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB":
>
> Which one of the many provided by a user passwords is used by ipa-server-install command during NSS database initialization?

In each NSS directory there is a pwdfile.txt which contains the PIN for
the internal token. You can add -f /etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt to your
command to list the private keys.

rob