[Freeipa-users] How does FreeIPA Fetch the Master DNS?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 19:46:23 UTC 2016

Russ Kaehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to review the section of code specifically related to how
> FreeIPA fetches the master DNS. When I run this:
>
> ipa -vv user-show admin
>

> The following printout emerges:
>

> ipa: INFO: trying https://nqa-ipa-master-int.sprinklr.com/ipa/json
> ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'user_show' to json server
> 'https://nqa-ipa-master-int.sprinklr.com/ipa/json'
> ipa: INFO: Request: {
>   "id": 0,
>   "method": "user_show",
>   "params": [ [ "admin" ],
>   { "all": false, "no_members": false, "raw": false, "rights": false,
>
> Where in the code does this line get populated with the DNS URI?
>
> ipa: INFO: trying https://ipa-master.foo.com/ipa/json
>

> It will occasionally attempt to connect to the wrong DNS server and I'd
> like to correct that behavior. My request is specifically to know where
> to look in the code so I can investigate this matter.

Not sure if this is a terminology issue or not but it isn't contacting
DNS servers, it is contacting an IPA master (which may be the same as
your DNS servers if IPA is serving DNS).

It can get this from a number of places: DNS SRV records,
/etc/ipa/default.conf or whatever is in the session cookie (depending on
version of IPA).

rob