[Freeipa-users] Web UI access from outside the home network via port forwarding

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 15:11:21 UTC 2016

Harry Kashouli wrote:
> I tried uncommenting everything in the ipa-rewrite.conf file, but it
> still changed the web address. I'll try clearing the cache, in case that
> was still remembering the links.
>
> I may be attacking my original thought badly, if this is going to be bad
> for security. I'm wanting to allow users to change their passwords
> remotely, so I figured giving them public access to the Web UI was the
> way to go. Is there a better solution?

Moving back to list.

Getting the rewrite rules right can be tricky sometimes. You might have
an easier time using a proxy instead. Exposing the UI increases the
attack surface area so as usual it's a balance of security and
convenience that you need to assess.

A community portal was started last summer but has largely stalled. This
is the long-term plan for what you're looking for. The design and a
pointer to the current code is at
https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Community_Portal

rob