[Freeipa-users] Migrating to FreeIPA from an existing Heimdal Kerberos and 389-ds deployment

Grant Wu grantwu at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 14 05:13:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm part of the CMU Computer Club and our Kerberos/LDAP deployment has been
a pain point for quite some time.  I've heard that FreeIPA might be a
solution worth exploring.

I would like to try to avoid user visible disruption if possible, however.
This means that we would like to keep our Kerberos realm name, keep AFS
cross-realm authentication working, etc.  UIDs remaining the same would be
good; I'd have to think about

Essentially all of our clients are various flavors of Debian; mostly Jessie
(we have an unfortunate number of older machines that I hope to upgrade
soon).

Has anyone done something like this before?  Anyone have any ideas what the
migration path would look like or whether this is even possible?

Thanks,

Grant Wu
grantwu at andrew.cmu.edu