[Freeipa-users] Freeipa replication issue

Stefan Uygur suygur at firstderivatives.com
Thu Jul 14 13:31:34 UTC 2016

Hi All,
Sorry if this would appear to be an obvious issue and maybe someone has already discussed about it but I couldn't get anywhere information about how to resolve this issue that I am experiencing.

Basically I have an IPA master server where the admin password was originally the same as Directory Manager password, within months the admin password was changed and DM left as it was.

But I have followed the instructions given in below link to reset DM password:

https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CDS/install/8.0/Installation_Guide-Common_Usage-Resetting_Passwords.html

Which I have tested after the reset using ldapsearch and it seems to be working perfectly.

But when I try to prepare the replica it keep telling me that is wrong password as per below:

ipa-replica-prepare ipa2.example.com --ip-address 10.0.0.3
Directory Manager (existing master) password:
The password provided is incorrect for LDAP server ipa1.example.com

Usint the following to test the DM password:

ldapsearch -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w DM_PASSWD base -b "" "objectclass=*"

Which gives me the correct result, long output.....but again, when I try to prepare replica still getting wrong password.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stefan