[Freeipa-users] vaults and service accounts

Anthony Clark anthonyclarka2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 14:33:51 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I have a crazy notion of storing a host's SSH private keys in a ipa vault,
so that a rebuilt host can use the same keys.

I'm on CentOS 7.2 and I'm using the RPMs available in the standard centos
base repository, so I'm constrained to version 1.0 vaults.  I'm using this
page:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Password_Vault_1.0#Provisioning_service_vault_password_for_service_instance

I'm trying these following steps but running into trouble:

ipa service-add ssh/test01.dev.redacted.net

certutil -N -d testcertdb

certutil -R -d testcertdb -a -g 2048 -s 'CN=test01.dev.redacted.net,O=
DEV.REDACTED.NET'
<paste that csr into the ipa web gui>

ipa-getcert request -r -f testsshd01-cert.pem -k testsshd01-key.pem -K ssh/
test01.dev.redacted.net at DEV.REDACTED.NET

ipa vault-add testsshd02 --service ssh/
test01.dev.redacted.net at DEV.REDACTED.NET --type asymmetric
--public-key-file testsshd01-cert.pem

the last command gives me "ipa: ERROR: invalid 'ipavaultpublickey': Invalid
or unsupported vault public key: Could not unserialize key data."

Is there a preferred way to create a public key for asymmetric encryption
for a service vault?

Thanks,

Anthony Clark