[Freeipa-users] PKI signing certificate question

Anthony Clark anthonyclarka2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 04:35:31 UTC 2016

I personally haven't done this, but from https://www.freeipa.org/page/PKI

"when --external-ca option is used, ipa-server-install produces a
certificate certificate request for it's CA certificate so that it can be
properly chained in existing PKI infrastructure."

and from
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2014-January/msg00057.html

"First run ipa-server-install with --external-ca, which will create a CSR
for IPA CA certificate in /root/ipa.csr. Then sign the CSR with the
external CA to get the IPA CA certificate. Finally, run ipa-server-install
with --external_cert_file pointing to the IPA CA certificate and
--external_ca_file pointing to CA certificate of the external CA."

>From that previous paragraph, it looks like the --external-ca option
doesn't actually install anything, just creates the correct CSR for the
domain you intend to create.

If you can create a temporary CentOS virtual machine you could run the
"ipa-server-install --external-ca" command and see what happens :)

Hope this helps,

Anthony Clark