[Freeipa-users] Replica without CA: implications?

Cal Sawyer cal-s at blue-bolt.com
Tue Jun 7 14:10:12 UTC 2016

For the benefit, or added confusion, of future generations, some
observations

ipa-ca-install, run successful replica instantiation w/o --setup-ca
fails consistently with the errors in my orig post. Never figured out
what the script was finding that needed purging.  After a multitude of
attempts (thank you, ESXi snapshots) with multiple ipa-server-install
--uninstall's , i gave up and rebuilt from the gound up withlatest
packages and --setup-ca which works great

I found that installing a replica with firewalld enabled would
consistently fail during initial replication.  Disabling firewalld
always allowed replication and later stages to complete

       [24/38]: setting up initial replication
    Starting replication, please wait until this has completed.

    [ipa.localdomain.local] reports: Update failed! Status: [-1  - LDAP
    error: Can't contact LDAP server]

The first master and all replicas are all CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511
(Core) with ipa-server-4.2.0-15.0.1.el7

One other thing.  if, during ipa-replica-install,+ you choose the
default answer to the following:

Existing BIND configuration detected, overwrite? [no]:
ipa.ipapython.install.cli.install_tool(Replica): ERROR    Aborting
installation.

Not sure if that is intended?  Which BIND configuration is being detected?

Anyhow, up and running with 4 replicas, 2 of which will be split off to
a failover instance of ESXi in the future.  When it works, it's a joy

Now back to getting these Mac clients to play nicely with IPA ...

thanks for the help and advice

- cal