[Freeipa-users] Error with DNS forwarding on replica.

Nuno Higgs ipa at border.nuneshiggs.com
Sun Jun 12 18:47:13 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I have a IPA server - IPA 4.2 - and i have added a new IPA to geographic
replication.

I have added it as stated in the documentation here:
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/ht
ml/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/creating-the-replic
a.html#replica-install-with-dns>
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/htm
l/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/creating-the-replica
.html#replica-install-with-dns

All was replicated correctly, and i can do a kinit user at DOMAIN with success
within the replica.

However there is a problem with the DNS sections:

Although it DNS is ok, my configuration within IPA on the first server
regarding DNS zones that are set on forward only are not.

In my first server, i can do a forward of domain - let's say
<http://domain.eu> domain.eu. On the second server (replica) the forward is
shown configured correctly within the webgui but it does not work, giving a
NX error on query  <http://www.domain.eu> www.domain.eu (the A Record exists
and is shown on the first server). It also shows on dig on the replica (dig
@x.x.x.x www.domain.eu), so it isn't a network permissions issue.

I have deleted the zone on the master (and replica), and recreated it. On
the first server, it worked fine. On the replica the problem persisted.

Am I missing anything? Is there a undocumented trick, or have i missed
something?

Thanks for your help.

Nuno