[Freeipa-users] Error with DNS forwarding on replica.

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 14:28:38 UTC 2016

On 14.6.2016 13:01, Nuno Higgs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Found it:
>
> It appears that my forwarder is NOT DNSSEC happy:
>
> in:  /var/named/data/named.run
>
> validating @0x7f2c40044910: . DNSKEY: got insecure response; parent indicates it should be secure
> error (insecurity proof failed) resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 10.0.157.35#53
>
> So, i changed the /etc/named.conf
>
> from:
>
> 	dnssec-enable yes;
> 	dnssec-validation yes;
>
> to:
>
> 	dnssec-enable yes;
> 	dnssec-validation no;
>
> Everything is working fine now.

Okay, it explains a lot.

Please note that configuration "dnssec-validation no;" lowers security bar for
attackers and is strongly discouraged!

The issue is most likely caused by non-compliant forwarder which mangles DNS
data somehow before they reach your IPA DNS server.

I would recommend you to check DNS forwarder on 10.0.157.35 and see it is
configured with its equivalent of "dnssec-enable yes;". I strongly recommend
returning back to "dnssec-validation yes;" after fixing the forwarder config.

IPA 4.3 or newer should print a warning about such broken forwarders whenever
you try to configure them using IPA commands.

What version of IPA do you use?

How did you configure the forwarder in IPA?

Petr^2 Spacek

> Thanks for your help!
> Nuno
>
>> On 13 Jun 2016, at 10:14, Nuno Higgs <ipa at border.nuneshiggs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> [root at ipa01 ~]# kinit user
>> Password for user at DOMAIN.LOCAL:
>> [root at ipa01 ~]# ipa dnsforwardzone-show domain.eu
>>  Zone name: domain.eu.
>>  Active zone: TRUE
>>  Zone forwarders: 194.65.3.20 195.65.3.21
>>  Forward policy: only
>> [root at ipa01 ~]#
>>

>> [root at ipa02 ~]# ipa dnsforwardzone-show domain.eu
>>  Zone name: domain.eu.
>>  Active zone: TRUE
>>  Zone forwarders: 194.65.3.20 195.65.3.21
>>  Forward policy: only
>> [root at ipa02 ~]#
>>
>> On both servers the return is the same.
>> I haven't touched the DNS config besides deleting the zone and recreating
>> it.
>>
>> I am at a loss. What can be the issue here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nuno

>>> replic
>>> a.html#replica-install-with-dns>