[Freeipa-users] IPA active-active node failure

Auerbach, Steven Steven.Auerbach at flbog.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:14:18 UTC 2016

We have an active-active dual-node IPA.  The second node stopped accepting logins thru the Web GUI.  I rebooted the server. Now it is really botched.

Directory service will not restart:
# service ipa restart
Restarting Directory Service
Shutting down dirsrv:
    domain-LOCAL... server already stopped                   [FAILED]
  *** Error: 1 instance(s) unsuccessfully stopped          [FAILED]
Starting dirsrv:
    domain-LOCAL...                                          [FAILED]
  *** Error: 1 instance(s) failed to start
Failed to restart Directory Service: Command '/sbin/service dirsrv restart ' returned non-zero exit status 1

Web service is running enough to load the "Identity Management" banner then pops up an "unknown error" dialog box.

How do we reset the directory server (kill a pid file?) to get this working and re-synchronize with our other node?  I really am concerned with a single point of failure for all our users....

Steven Auerbach
Systems Administrator

State University System of Florida
Board of Governors