[Freeipa-users] How to migrate users with md5 and sha512 passwords

Joanna Delaporte joannadelaporte at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:00:13 UTC 2016

I figured it out. The problem was the user's UID being too low. In the
client's /var/log/secure log, I found this:

sshd[25010]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): requirement "uid >= 1000" not met
by user "user1"

The user that was failing to authenticate via password had a UID lower than
1000. When I allowed IPA to set a random UID, the login with migrated
password worked (although it didn't prompt to reset password for this user
and I'm still figuring out NFSv4 access for users). The NIS domain I am
migrating from is several years old, from the era when it was normal to
have users start in the 500s. So, I need to migrate UIDs simultaneously.

--

Joanna Delaporte
Linux Systems Administrator | Parkland College
joannadelaporte at gmail.com