[Freeipa-users] User certificate workflow

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 00:21:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 09:39:12AM +0000, Alessandro De Maria wrote:
> Thank you Martin that's very helpful.
>
> The annoying thing about cut/paste from web ui is that the cert is not
> wrapped at 60 chars like it should be, but I guess I'll have to wait for
> the save certificate functionality.
> Any idea of then that's planned for?
>
> Regards
> Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

The easiest way to get the cert is with the `ipa user-show` (if
it was saved to the IPA direct after issuance, which is controlled
by the `store` option Martin mentioned). E.g.:

    ipa user-show alice --out=cert.pem

Which will save alice's certificate(s) to the file `cert.pem`.

If you copy the data from the web UI and save it to a file, the
following will convert it to PEM:

    base64 -d < cert.txt | openssl x509 -inform DER > cert.pem

Finally, to configure a profile to issue certificates with a
validity of X days, the relevant profile configuration is:

    policyset.serverCertSet.2.constraint.class_id=validityConstraintImpl
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.constraint.name=Validity Constraint
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.constraint.params.range=740
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.constraint.params.notBeforeCheck=false
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.constraint.params.notAfterCheck=false
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.default.class_id=validityDefaultImpl
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.default.name=Validity Default
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.default.params.range=X
    policyset.serverCertSet.2.default.params.startTime=0

Replace `X` above with the desired lifetime in days.  (Note that the
index (`2`, above) may be different for different profiles.)

Cheers,
Fraser