[Freeipa-users] Certificate profiles and CA ACLs for service principals

earsdown a.fedora at earsdown.com
Tue Mar 22 11:57:37 UTC 2016

Hi Fraser, Martin and Alexander,

Thanks for looking into this! For what it's worth, I think for this
particular use case, I'm leaning more towards Alexander when he said:

> I don't think you need to group services this way. For managing
> services, and this means being able to issue certificates/keytabs for
> them, we have hosts. By default a host that a service belongs to is
> capable to modify userCertificate attribute of the service already, so
> would expect it to be able to issue certificates with subject principal
> corresponding to the service.

> If CAACL would follow the same logic by allowing hosts that manage
> services to issue certificates with subject principals corresponding to
> these services, that should be enough because, after all, these host
> objects already have write permissions and can upload whatever
> certificates they like to the service objects.
> --
> / Alexander Bokovoy

Personally, I was very surprised when I discovered that, even though a
host principal may manage a service principal, it is currently unable to
request a certificate for that service principal if the service
principal doesn't have specific access to the certificate profile, even
though the host principal may have access to the same certificate
profile. In my mind the CA ACL should be evaluated against the identity
of the requestor, not the issuee. As long as the requestor is allowed to
request on behalf of the issuee (achieved via the managedby attribute),
then it should work. Now, if I used the credentials of the service
principal directly (say, with a service keytab) to make the request
(supposing the service principal wasn't listed in the CA ACL), then
denying the request would be the expected behaviour (imo of course).

Okay, so even though Alexander's suggestion might be more intuitive,
implementing service groups might be more feasible from a technical
standpoint, and I'm fairly sure this use case would also be solved by
implementing service groups. But, it would be painful without automember
regexp rules, so please don't forget this :D

Cheers!