[Freeipa-users] Certificate profiles and CA ACLs for service principals

a.fedora at earsdown.com a.fedora at earsdown.com
Wed Mar 23 05:37:43 UTC 2016

Some excellent points, and thank you for being open to having the conversation - I know you don't have to, and it is appreciated.

> Profiles which are allowed for a host principal (representing
> physical or virtual machines) are not necessarily the same profiles
> that should be used for service principals.  This is why CA ACLs
> must be executed against the issuee principal.

Certmonger uses the host credential (from the host keytab) to make all requests on behalf of all service principals of a given machine, right? So if that machine is compromised then so too are all keys/certificates issued to that machine. If I think a machine is more likely to become compromised, I'd want to lock down the Certificate Profiles available to that whole machine. Even if I end up using different profiles for different services on the same machine, I'm still forced to trust certmonger to use the right profile for each request.

So, even with future sub-CAs (this excites me btw), I'm just not sure I understand the security benefit of evaluating CA ACLs against the subject/issuee of the request, when (as you say) directory ACIs are already doing this.

Lets look at this from another angle. Suppose I obtain a service keytab for my unprivileged web application (say HTTP/myapp01.example.com), which is needed to authenticate web clients via kerberos/gssapi. The app also needs x509 certificates for TLS, which is handled by certmonger. Given the current approach of CA ACLs, it would be possible for my unprivileged web-app (if it were to become compromised) to use its service keytab to request certificates from IPA directly, which is undesirable, but I'd have no way of stopping it.

I'm even more curious about how I'd explain and justify this behaviour to clients. It's confusing, you know?

Cheers