[Freeipa-users] Advise for the best way to achieve AD Caching?

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri May 6 07:57:02 UTC 2016

On 6.5.2016 02:03, David LeVene wrote:
> Hi Petr,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I didn't know about Samba 4, so that's worth some further investigation on my part - Thanks.
>
> So from what you've said below it can't run as a standalone, but SSSD does allow caching(if a user has authenticated previous).. does IPA have the ability to cache credentials for ~1 hour, so if there is a short loss of network connectivity users still get the OK from the cache?

SSSD's cache will help you only for local authentication on clients (using
password). It will not help for LDAP BIND or Kerberos authentication.

> I'm still having a look at SyncRepl from slapd for replication, but not sure how this will work in the event that the Provider is uncontactable - as long as it caches credentials/details for ~ 1 hour that's acceptable.

AFAIK SyncRepl is not supported on AD side.

Sorry, but if you are so reliant on AD technology then you probably need to
either pay for new AD server or use Samba 4.

Petr^2 Spacek

--
Petr^2 Spacek