[Freeipa-users] freeipa as organizational CA

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Mon May 9 22:50:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 10:23:07PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2016, Andy Thompson wrote:
> >Is freeipa in RHEL7.2 able to be used as an organizational CA these
> >days?  I have a requirement to set one up and like the IPA interface
> >and tools, but can't sort out the current state in 4.2 to decipher
> >whether this is possible, or even reasonable to try.  I need to setup
> >an org sub CA with an offline root CA
> Sub-CA support is coming in FreeIPA 4.4, hopefully. Current code in RHEL
> 7.2 does not support sub-CA functionality.

Andy, you can install FreeIPA as a sub-CA of your offline root.
Support for creating sub-CAs *within* FreeIPA, under the "main"
FreeIPA CA (which in your case is a sub-CA of your offline root), is
not yet available but I am working on that.  But if you only need
one CA as a sub-CA of an offline root, you can use FreeIPA today.